Aalborg clinched the Danish championship with two matches to go on Thursday, beating Brondby at home 2-0 and opening an insurmountable eight-point lead over last year’s champions, FC Copenhagen.
Most likely final standings include:
- Gold / Champions League qualification: AaB 68, 69 or 71 points
- Silver / UEFA Cup qualification: FC København 60, 61 or 63 p
- Bronze / UEFA Cup qualification: FC Midtjylland 59 or 62 p
- Fourth / TOTO Cup: OB 52, 53, 54, 55 or 57 p
- Fifth / n/a: AC Horsens 47, 49, 51 or 53 p
(My emphasis on most probable final points.)
So this season's far from over: Tomorrow we have to beat former rivals Brøndby to put them in place and secure the silverware!
Placed ninth Brøndby looks relatively easy this year and statistics speak of a possible win. But actually they made 28 points at home so far, FC København only 23 away. And averaging this season's scores the tendency is 1.05 - 1.4 which is a bit narrow for my liking - but since 53% of the team's games had less than three goals, that might be a good bet. Significant injuries: Brøndby IF: Mikkel Bischoff, Morten 'Duncan' Rasmussen, Morten Rasmussen and Trond Andersen; FC København: Jesper Grønkjær is recovering from knee surgery while Mikael Antonsson, Niclas Jensen and Rasmus Würtz might soon be playing.
Wild guess: 1-1 draw, our goal scored by Morten Nordstrand ;-)